How Fiber Delivers More Than Just Speed: 6 Additional Benefits

Humans think at the speed of 450 words per minute. Yet we type, on average, just 40 words per minute. This means your employees lose 90% of their potential productivity typing when compared to how quickly they can think.

A slow Internet connection only makes the situation worse.

Speed. Business is all about speed, right? So from that perspective, moving to fiber-optic Internet is a no-brainer. It can be so much faster than all your other options (cable, DSL, etc.), with up to 100Gbps connection speeds. Just from an employee productivity standpoint, it makes sense. After all, your Internet connection is supposed to make your employees work faster and more efficiently—not impede them.

But speed isn’t the only advantage to switching to fiber. In this article, we’ve come up with six other reasons your mid-sized firm should switch as soon as possible.

1. Improve Reliability

Network downtime costs 80% of small and medium-sized businesses (SMBs) a minimum of $20,000 per hour, according to IDC. For the other 20% of SMBs, one hour of downtime can cost upwards of $100,000. Few mid-sized businesses can survive leaking this kind of cash.

Fiber is much more reliable than copper connectivity. Because fiber uses light for transmission, it is not vulnerable to electromagnetic frequencies associated with things like high-power lines and lightning. Copper, which uses electrical signals, is susceptible to bad conditions that can slow down or even destroy data in transmissions. If you are seeking a highly reliable Internet connection, choose fiber.

2. Boost Bandwidth

With today’s dependence on communications and collaboration technologies such as web conferences, streaming video and large file sharing, you need as much bandwidth as you can get. More importantly, you want symmetrical speed—equally robust with both uploading and downloading—that is offered with fiber versus other types of connections. Unfortunately, many mid-sized firms hit the bandwidth limit or operate with vastly different upload and download asymmetrical speeds with their traditional Internet providers. Fiber optic based Internet offers significantly higher bandwidth and consistent speed even as more users join the network. If you find your existing Internet loses speed and content becomes pixelated when more demands are put on your network, you could benefit from fiber.

3. Facilitate Access to the Cloud

More than half (51%) of businesses with less than 50 employees use some kind of cloud in their business. This includes software-as-a-service (SaaS) tools as well as infrastructure-as-a-service (IaaS) platforms. With real-time, latency-sensitive applications like voice residing in the cloud, a fast and reliable connection is imperative. The more applications and data you move to the cloud, the more you need symmetrical fiber bandwidth.

4. Reduce Latency

Latency describes the delays that can happen when processing data over a network connection. Traditional cable Internet is rife with latency, which can result in employee frustration and diminished productivity. With the huge amounts of bandwidth supported by fiber, you minimize latency, which is especially important with videoconferencing, streaming video and uploading or downloading large files.

5. Eliminate Interference from Other Machines

As discussed, copper cables are sensitive to electromagnetic interference. This interference is caused by nearby machinery—either your own, or those belonging to your neighbors. If you share a building with other businesses, you need to be especially careful that there is no interference with your signals. Fiber resiliency will eliminate this concern, providing greater and more consistent Internet availability.

6. Save Money

All these elements add up to less cost. Fiber will make your connection more reliable, thus you won’t lose money due to unplanned downtime. Your employees will be more productive, which directly adds to your bottom line. You can also safely move more applications to the cloud, which is a huge money saver—both of CAPEX and OPEX. Perhaps most importantly, your business will be much more flexible and scalable if you use fiber, opening up more possibilities to cut costs and enhance revenues in the future.

In Summary

Everyone knows that fiber-optic Internet gives you speed, but fiber Internet delivers six other important benefits to mid-sized firms, making an upgrade from copper to fiber a no-brainer.

 

Interested in learning about Fiber Internet from CenturyLink® Business?