Growth in mobile usage and its impact on both consumer habits and customer experience is not a new story. But more and more this mobile growth is translating into hard dollars.
On Cyber Monday 2016, sales completed through mobile devices for the first time smashed through the $1 billion barrier, growing 29% year over year and accounting for 27% of total digital commerce that day. The sheer proliferation of mobile over the last few years has been staggering – and, for many, unforeseeable. Here are some of my favorite stats that highlight just how integral the channel has become.
- Forrester reported that in 2014, adults in the U.S. spent more time looking at their six-inch mobile screens than they did their 60 inch TVs.
- During the same year, some 70 million Americans spent more time on their smartphones than on any other device, including desktops and tablets.
- Throughout October 2016, internet usage of mobile and tablet devices accounted for 51.3% internet usage globally (compared to 48.7% via desktop).
- In 2015 alone, U.S. consumers purchased some $67 billion in goods on their smartphones – across a multitude of locations and channels. This figure is only getting bigger for 2016.
- M-commerce grew nearly three times faster than e-commerce in the United States in 2015.
- As it stands now, m-commerce accounts for nearly one-third of all e-commerce sales, and continues to grab more of the market share with every swipe, text, and click on smartphones and tablets.
- Forrester estimates that mobile ‘influenced’ $1 trillion in consumer spend in 2015 – highlighting how mobile is now a gateway to all channels, whether physical or digital.
- 62% of users expect websites to be mobile-friendly
- Only 54% of organizations have built mobile-optimized websites.
- Mobile users convert at a higher rate in the UK (4.2%) than in the U.S. (3.6%) and globally (3.5%)
- 82% of shoppers say they consult their phones on purchases they’re about to make when in a brick-and-mortar location.
- By 2019, it’s predicted that the number of people using smartphones globally will increase from 2 billion to 3.5 billion
- Only 51% of eBusiness professionals are in the ‘mobile-first’ stage of maturity, with 17% believing they are ready to fully embrace mobile CX transformation.
What do these stats tell us? That mobile truly has become the gateway to all channels – whether physical or digital – and usage, not to mention revenue share, is continuously increasing. But most businesses don’t know how to react to these trends in a way that allows them to create enriching customer experiences that drive conversions and result in bottom-line impact.
With this in mind, how do you fulfill this need and make changes in line with your customers’ preferences? By empowering them to tell you exactly what they really think about their physical and digital interactions with your business by enabling them to engage with you wherever, whenever and however they like at all points in their journey – absolutely critical to finding out exactly what your customers think about your mobile experience and uncovering the actionable insights to drive improvements over time.
This article was written by Tim Whiting from Business2Community and was legally licensed through the NewsCred publisher network.